The Treasure Hunter

A blog by Joanne Yatvin

A Letter To All My Friends

on March 14, 2021

Dear friends I haven’t written to you for a long time, and you might have thought I was too busy working everyday or no longer able to write. But neither of those things were true. I have thought about writing to you all many times, but unfortunately I haven’t been writing well enough recently. For sometime I have had trouble writing words correctly or repeating them too many times. But recently I have been able to write some short pieces that I consider understandable and important to send tool you people. So I decided to wait for a time when I felt I could write correctly.

Because of my changes that I can’t explain, I think I have become able to write well at leas ounce more time. So I won’t stop writing unless I am unable to continue. Recently I have remembered most of my recent experiences. My most important changes were good health and fisical ability. And on good days I’m strong enough to write correctly, hear people speak, and talk understandably. But sometimes I forget the names of the foods I like to eat or the people I know by sight, and those experiences are very embarrassing.

In April this year I will become ninety years old, and fortunately I still hear most words that are spoken near me. But the machine in our auditorium is poor and very difficult for me or anyone else to understand words. I also have trouble understanding the words people speak when they are waring masks. But I remember the words of songs I once loved to sing when I was young and I still enjoy doing that. In adition I go to the exercise classes here regularly. And when the outside weather is also warm I walk there carrying a cane in order to avoid falling. At lunch times I enjoy eating the foods offered in our building’s dining room. But unfortunately some spicy foods that are offered frequently do not sit well in my stomach. So now I try to avoid them altogether.

Today I want you all to know that I have found good friends and interesting activities here in Pennsylvania. My apartment is comfortable and has pleasant views of the outside. And I clean it up when necessary. There is also a weekly worker who cleans up my apartment very well. In addition a small cat has been living with me for some time. He behaves very well, makes no dirt, and eat’s without creating a mess. He also likes to sleep in my bed with me at night rather than in a small box I bought for him long ago. He docent make any trouble for me as long as I scratch his back every evening, and fead him regularly. But unfortunately I can’t take him anywhere outside my apartment because there it is too dangerous for him. So his greatest pleasures are to climb up to a window in my apartment and look outside. Then he never complains or makes any dirt. I have enjoyed his friendship for more than ten years and I hope it will continue.

Because it will soon be a new year I’m afraid that my ability to write may drift away. For that reason I will check twice what I’ve written here and try to clean up any of my mistakes. In the future, I hope to be able to write to all of you more than once, and that many of you will also write to me. I am still fiscally healthy and interested in keeping contact with all my friends for as long as posable. And of course I hope that all of you will remain healthy, remember me, and keep writing. Maybe we will even get together again. Whodunit that be Wonderfull?

Joanne Yatvin

11 responses to “A Letter To All My Friends

1. Yvonne says:

Joanne,

You are a remarkable lady.

Loved reading your post today.

Stay well.

Take care. ❤️

• Joanne says:

Thank all of you for your attention. I wanted to reply but I couldn’t remember how to do it. I want to write to all of you again soon and tell you all the things, good and bad that are going on.

2. berniemon13 says:

Very upbeat article. So glad you can Express your feelings so well. .I miss you too.

3. Laurie Stehle says:

Hello Joanne!
    It was great to hear from you! I had been thinking about you and was wondering how you were doing. It sounds like you are doing well. I’m glad to hear you are able to get outdoors. Spring is in the air.
    Your cat sounds like a wonderful companion. I’m so glad you have him. I have a cat that often sleeps with me too.
    I will always remember learning more about teaching literacy from you when I was a teacher in the Madison Metropolitan School District in Madison, Wisconsin. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with others.
    Take good care of yourself, and please keep writing to us!
    Love,
    Laurie Stehle

4. drmom2003 says:

Hi Joanne! It’s so wonderful to hear from you again. I’m so happy to hear you are doing well. Isn’t it wonderful to be able to be outdoors right now!!!

And I’m so happy you have a cat! I also have a friendly little kitty who sits in my lap and sleeps on my pillow. I just love her so much!

Please do keep writing. We love to hear from you I will always remember a lunch we shared at San Diego TAWL. I had you all to myself and I will always treasure that memory! Always remember that you had the wisdom and courage to speak truth in the face of overwhelming corporate interests. Thank you for all you have done.

Happy 90th birthday!

With best regards,
    Lynne

5. Jane Watson says:

Joanne, So good to hear from you. Where in Pennsylvania are you? It looks like you’re getting lots of snow. It’s been in the 60s here in Washington State! Hurry Spring! Jane

Get Outlook for iOS ________________________________

6. Steve buel says:

Joanne, wonderful to see you are feeling like writing again. You sound like you are doing well. I think of you often and wish you all the best. Steve

7. starjumper47 says:

Dear Joanne,
    It brightened my morning tremendously when I read your post. I am so glad to see you writing again. It’s wonderful to hear you are able to get outdoors and to see people. Your kitty sounds like a great companion.
    My first grandson was born 9 days ago. We are staying with my daughter and her husband to help with the baby. It’s so wonderful to be around a tiny baby.
    You have shared so much wisdom over the years I have known you through OCTE. Knowing you has enriched my practice and my life. Keep writing and sharing those pearls!

8. starjumper47 says:

Dear Joanne,
    It’s so wonderful to see you posting again! I’ve missed your reflections and insights.
    I hope you continue to enjoy the coming of spring and better days ahead.

9. Nancy Belkov says:

So glad that you are enjoying so much of life now: walks outside, friends where you live, old songs, companionship with your cat, and your exercise class. That sounds great!

I am so grateful that I had the chance to have you as my principal when I taught at Crestwood Elementary in Madison, WI. I learned so much from you and always appreciated your honesty and deep caring for children and their learning. And I appreciate your friendship!

It is great to hear from you!

Nancy Belkov

10. shrierd says:

Joanne,
    I loved hearing from you! We miss you at PSU and yet we don’t even see each other since all instruction is online for now. I think often of our visits to the Chart House. Take care and keep writing to us.
    Love,